Midnight Sun — Experiencing the Clear Light of Mind
Integrating teachings of tantric yoga and Tibetan Buddhism into every day living through the cultivation of viveka, the ability to perceive reality as it is.
I am delighted to announce that Lama Phurbu Tashi Rinpoche of the Gampopa Center in Annapolis, Maryland and I will lead another retreat together! This year spend 17-24 June 2017 with us one of the most beautiful places in the world: the Lofoten Islands in Norway. This volcanic archipelago lies north of the Arctic Circle, and combines breathtaking mountain scenery with a temperate coastal climate.
We have rented a small villa in a tiny fishing village with immediate access to the beach, hiking, and outdoor space. We will be there at the height of summer, in time to experience the midnight sun.
The natural, unencumbered state of our minds is clarity. To alleviate suffering in ourselves and others, we cultivate the ability to see the world as it is. In Norway we will retreat from the usual patterns of our daily lives to encourage viveka, the clear perception of reality. In the light-filled, resplendent landscape of the Lofoten Islands, we will cultivate viveka through daily yoga practice, dharma talks and an engagement with the natural world.
Immerse yourself in this sublime environment, while you replenish your own inner light.
This eight day, seven night retreat features teachings from both the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism and tantric yogic philosophy on how to bring the clear light nature of mind in our daily lives. Included in the retreat are:
- Two yoga classes each day taught by ISHTA senior teacher Sheila Miller, a balanced and invigorating morning practice and a slow-flow, restorative, or yin evening practice with yoga nidra
- Daily dharma talks by Lama Phurbu Tashi Rinpoche of the Gampopa Center in Annapolis, Maryland
- Daily meditation practice with Lama Phurbu Tashi Rinpoche
- Seven nights lodging
- All meals (vegetarian*), communally prepared under the direction of our kitchen manager, Ben
- An optional hike and outdoor practice under the midnight sun on the summer solstice
- Outdoor recreation, including hiking, kayaking, swimming at the beach, fishing, visits to local glaciers and waterfalls, and climbing
- Shuttle transportation from Svolvaer to the retreat site (restrictions apply).
For more information and to register for the retreat, please visit: Midnight Sun — Experiencing the Clear Light of Mind
We look forward to seeing you there!